MPBL: Helterbrand vows to bring 'never-say-die' attitude to Imus

MPBL: Helterbrand vows to bring 'never-say-die' attitude to Imus

Just as in his days playing with Barangay Ginebra, Jayjay Helterbrand promised to bring the same "Never say die" attitude to Imus Bandera.

Another part of the duo "The Fast and the Furious" recently left his retirement for 2 years by signing a contract with Bandera for the Maharlika Maharlika Pilipinas Basketball League (MPBL), which opens on Wednesday.

"Whatever I play, it's just my mentality," said 42-year-old Helterbrand after training with Imus on Tuesday night. "I compete, I want to win. I'm not here to bring fans, to be a publicity stunt, that's my competitive nature. "

PBA 6 times champion and PBA 2009's Most Valuable Player will work together with celebrity baller Gerald Anderson as they help aspire to the Imus title this season.

Before signing a contract with Bandera, Helterbrand played for Ginebra at the UNTV PBA Legends Faceoff Cup.


"Basically I just missed playing. I have played with the team of legends and Ginebras. And that makes my juice flow again, "he said.

But Helterbrand clarified that he would not be a do-it-all superstar for Imus.

"I'm just trying to bring my experience, my leadership. This is not a one-man show. If you want to be truly successful on this team, we must be the best team, work as a team, and support each other. I will not go there to dominate the ball, I will only try to be a leader for young people, "said the former King Gin.

Helterbrand added that he was still competitive. He said he had to work on his strength and condition given the long MPBL season.

"It feels good, friend. to be able to compete with younger men gives me confidence. But I know it won't be easy. I must stay focused on strengthening and conditioning, "said the former PBA star.
Previous Post Next Post